Gabay Gang

Gabay Gang
What do you know good?

Friday, January 18, 2008

Our Anniversary

January 16th was our 15 year anniversary. The 'modern' gift is a watch, and surprisingly, I didn't even feel like pushing the envelope with my hubby and asking for one. I didn't ask for anything -- I KNOW -- can you even believe it!?!!?? Those of you who know me, know that I will ask my hubby to buy me jewelry just 'cause I did a load of laundry, much less a major milestone like 15 years. I guess I'm still amazed that it's been that long!

So here is how birthdays and anniversaries work in our house... my hubby stops at the grocery store on his way home from work and picks up a funny card and a serious card. When the kids were little, he used to buy a card for them also, but I guess he decided that he doesn't need to worry about them anymore, 'cause this year he threw them under the bus. (In their defense, they made a few really nice 'homemade' cards - which are the ones I really treasure). Back to my explanation... my hubby usually comes home with a crinkly, plastic grocery bag, tries to sneak into the house, goes to a quiet corner where he signs and seals the cards, then makes a big presentation to me. It's okay, I'm used to it, and I'm not complaining. It is what it is -- at least he remembers the important events, right? So this year, at the most, I was expecting the usual routine. My hubby's work schedule right now is Monday - Friday nights, which means he gets home around 8am, goes to bed and wakes up anytime between 2-6pm. Wednesday evening he woke got up around 5:30pm. I heard his footsteps as he came down the stairs and walked to his desk, then I heard the crinkle of the plastic grocery bag. He tracked me down in the living room, wished me a happy anniversary and handed me the plastic bag. I took it from him and said "Oh, the standard", to which he responded "just open it"! I opened the bag to find the traditional two cards AND their envelopes - he hadn't even signed them! He made me read them - cause he always takes a lot of time to read them in the store and carefully select just the right ones. The funny one played the song "Ain't no woman like the one I got" when opened, and the serious one was perfect, as usual. Here's the best part - I read the cards, got a laugh, said 'awwhhhh' to the mushy one, and then found the receipt in the bottom of the bag - SO I'M TAKING THEM BACK AND GETTING $12!! Maybe I'll photograph the cards so I'll have the memory, and then I'll return them to the store. Is that TOTALLY wrong?

Anyway - don't get the wrong idea - I'm not upset or angry about this event - I've come to expect it from my hubby. It was just SOO funny, I had to share it. I know we have friends who do big things for their anniversaries, especially big ones, but this is soo typically us - you have NO idea. I guess 15 years means you don't have to sign cards anymore. Next year, he'll probably just take me to the grocery store and have me read the cards there ;0

(I should probably add that I got him nothing... not even a card). Don't hate - emulate.

Cheers,
xoxo

3 comments:

traci said...

I really am waiting over here for more entries. Come one Sue.

Holly said...

Suz--

I finally found your blog. That story is hilarious. I just want to know what you bought yourself with the $12?!!

YOu are the best. I ache to have a sense of humor as good as yours!

Amy said...

Dude!!! that is so funny! i've written down a few card passages to use in a homemade card once, but this "regifting" tops it!

good to see you the other day. and thanks for being willing to help. we are all home now and healthy.